Salmon Donabe with Ikura Caviar
- 120g Bonito
- 150g Kombu
- 400g Mirin
- 375g Shoyu
- 4L Water
- 250g Rice
- 250g Dashi
- Canola Oil 25ml
- 200g Salmon
- 1 Spring onion
- Mt Cook Alpine Salmon Ikura Caviar
- Soak the kombu with water overnight.
- In a pot, bring the kombu’s water to boil then take out the kombu and put in the bonito, shoyu and mirin.
- After 5 minutes, strain out the bonito flakes. Keep the dashi for cooking the rice.
- Mix the uncooked rice with the dashi, seaweed and canola oil into the donabe (pot)*.
- Bring it to boil and turn down the heat with the lid on. Cook the rice for 15 minutes. Set aside the rice with the lid on for 10 minutes to continue cooking the rice.
- Dice the Mt Cook Salmon into 2cm cubes and place on top of the rice.
- Garnish with chopped spring onion and Mt Cook Alpine Salmon Ikura Caviar.
*you can use any type of claypot, or a Dutch-oven could also work
Recipe with thanks to Chef Daniel from the One Restaurant, Christchurch