Mt Cook Pastrami on Rye
Our ode to New York City’s Carnegie Deli (minus the fatty meat and curing salts).
Like the famous deli we recommend making this in an oversize dimension and serving half portions. The thickness of the sandwich is part of the experience!
4 x 100g boneless, skinless slices of Mt Cook Alpine Salmon
4×1” thick slices of quality rye bread
1 cup sauerkraut
1. Toast bread and butter liberally
2. Salt the salmon slices and season lightly with the spice rub
3. Sear in a hot pan with a touch of rice bran oil until medium rare
4. Assemble between the slices of bread with the sauerkraut and Island dressing
5. Cut corner to corner and serve with plenty of napkins
Ruapuke Island Dressing:
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1/2cup cottage cheese
1 tbsp diced gherkins
1 dsp chopped capers
1 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp chopped parsley
Combine and season to taste.
1 tbsp yellow mustard seed
1 tbsp white peppercorns
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Grind together until fine powder.